Victoria Negotiates Second Place in Championships

A team of Victoria University students fell just short of a first placing at the National Negotiation Championships held at Otago University early this month.

Sarah Wilson and Nigel Smith of Victoria’s Faculty of Law were runners-up in the final stages of the negotiation competition, which was held in Dunedin as part of the New Zealand Law Students’ Association’s Conference.

Wilson and Smith lost to a team from Waikato University, who will go on to represent New Zealand at the World Negotiation Championships held in Copenhagen next year.

Students’ aptitude for mooting, interviewing clients and examining witnesses were also assessed in separate competitions, and Victoria students placed second or third in all three.

Genevieve Taylor and Yogesh Patel also placed second in the client interviewing category, and Stephen Whittington and Glen Prentice finished third in the mooting competition. Polly Higbee received a third placing in the witness examination section.

Victoria University Law Students’ Society President Nick Chapman says that the university did “very well”.

“Victoria was the second placed in the President’s Plate, which is the award given to the best performing university across the four competitions,” he says. “We were beaten by one point by Otago.

“All of the competitors did exceptionally well, and we’re very proud of their achievements.”

Elle started out at Salient reviewing music. In 2010, she wrote features and Animal of The Week, which an informal poll revealed to be 40% of Victoria students' favourite part of the magazine. Alongside Uther Dean, she was co-editor for 2011. In 2012, she is chief features writer.