VUWSA gets down to Business with the Buses

VUWSA and the university have been working together recently in an attempt to keep Go Wellington bus fares as low as possible for students.

On 1 October NZ Bus will introduce a number of changes to their prices, including the removal of a number of monthly travel deals.

The $99 Gold Pass, which allows for unlimited travel for one month in zones 1-3, will be removed and replaced with two new monthly Snapper card deals.

The Go Wellington 30 Day Pass and the GetAbout 30 Day Pass, which cost $135 and $185, offer unlimited travel for 30 days in zones 1-3 and all zones respectively.

VUWSA President Max Hardy told Salient last week that VUWSA and the university are currently petitioning the Greater Wellington regional council to introduce a $99 tertiary education pass for students.

“We wanted to reduce the cost of the Gold Pass, but at the very least we’d like to keep the pass at that price.”

As reported in Salient in July, the regional council met in June to debate an increase to bus prices, ultimately ruling in favour of a 2.5 per cent increase across the board.

Details of all of the price changes can be found on the Go Wellington website www.gowellingtonbus.co.nz