Welfare Vice-President

Student Services Levy Not Increasing in 2011

Despite not convincing members at last Monday’s University Council meeting not to increase our tuition fees for 2011, our VUWSA student representatives gained a significant win – no increase in the 2011 Student Services Levy.

This was the culmination of many months of work between VUWSA and the University following a partnership in 2009 after the Levy was increased (opposed by VUWSA) by 94%.
This partnership saw a new advisory committee established with joint VUWSA-University representation that was tasked with financial and strategic oversight of the Levy. A central area of focus was reviewing each service and seeking student feedback on what they were paying for.

A majority of students submitting believed the Levy was too high and it should not increase in 2011. VUWSA took this and lobbied to ensure there was none and at the same time won refunds for some part-time students.

Annual General Meeting – featuring a Humungous Sandwich and BBQ

The 2010 VUWSA Annual General Meeting is this Wednesday at 1PM in the Memorial Theatre Foyer. This is your chance to hear from your student representatives and see what VUWSA has been doing to date. The Executive will be presenting their 6 months report outlining their activities and various motions will be voted on. There will also be a giant sandwich, free BBQ (with vegetarian options), prizes and a cash bar.

One of the most important motions is one that will establish a Science Students’ Representative Group. VUWSA recognises and funds specific groups on campus that represent certain student groups. Currently this includes the Law Students’ Society, VicCom, UniQ, STUDiO, and the Pasifika Students’ Council. The creation of this rep group will help fill a gap in the VUWSA Family and will enable stronger representation and support for science students at Victoria.

We’re also hoping to add the option of “No-Confidence” to elections of Publication Committee Representatives and University Council elections if they aren’t contested. This is to bring these two positions in line with the Executive elections.

Update on Bus Fares

After I wrote a letter in last week’s issue of Salient, Go Wellington announced a further change in their new fare structure in light of removing the Gold Pass. Following outcry and pressure placed on it by organisations such as VUWSA, Go Wellington has announced a new $135 monthly bus pass. This is considerably better than their initial 100% move to individual Snapper fares, and then to a $185 monthly bus pass. We will continue to keep the pressure on for tertiary discounts.

Seamus Brady Vice President (Welfare)
wvp@vuwsa.org.nz