Welfare Vice President

VUWSA Te Aro Clinics

VUWSA has not visited the Te Aro campus as often as we would have liked. The tyranny of distance/the mountainous environment of Wellington has proved a constant frustration for many.

For the remainder of the year VUWSA will be visiting Te Aro each week to make the following (and more) services accessible from the Atrium every Wednesday 12-3PM. We’ll be launching it with a free BBQ, noodles, and music this Wednesday.

You’ll be able to get your free bus tickets if you have classes at Kelburn on the same day, food banks, information and appointments with our Student Advocate, free tax return advice, information about Campus Angels, clubs, representative groups and be able to have a chat with one of your student representatives about ideas, issues or questions you have about your campus, course or the University.

VUWSA is fortunate to have such a proactive and dedicated representative group at Te Aro. STUDiO is the group of people who act as representatives for all the students based in and around the Vivian Street. They help us train and support dozens of Class Reps and Faculty Delegates and ensure the views, concerns and issues relating to Architecture and Design students’ are communicated and acted on. They also keep things interesting outside classes, arranging regular events and parties, guest lectures, forums, barbeques and design competitions.

We hope these weekly clinics are the beginning of a stronger VUWSA presence and service at Te Aro and go a little way in making up for of lack of visits, hellos and hugs.

VUWSA Flatting Mag

Flatting can be an awesome and life changing experience when it all goes to plan. But when things go belly-up when you least expect them to, friendships can be ruined, awkward flat romances can blossom and it all just becomes a freaking nightmare, especially if you are not prepared. It can leave you stressing, getting sick, out-of pocket, homeless, or even friendless.

That is why here at VUWSA we are currently putting together a guide about everything you need to know about flatting in Wellington. From knowing the law and your rights, to warming your flat up, to knowing the ins and outs of Wellington’s suburbs, everything will be in it.

We need your help though. We want you to email wvp@vuwsa.org.nz with all your tips, tricks and stories about flatting. We’ll collect them all up and include them in the magazine.

Student Forum

Do try and make it along to the Student Forum with the Vice Chancellor and Chancellor at 2pm Monday in the Memorial Theatre. Read Max’s column for more information.

Seamus Brady
wvp@vuwsa.org.nz

1