Women’s Rights Officer

Kia Ora,

Campus Safety Audit

I hope you enjoyed your holiday, and are ready for the last six weeks of the year. While you were off doing that, I was meeting with the University and Baz the community constable to organize a Campus Safety Audit. I don’t know if you realized this, but Vic is up a hill. A big hill. And late at night it can be scary having to walk down the big hill. We’ve been lucky in that there haven’t been any attacks on campus in 2010, and we’d like to keep it that way. There are already Campus Angels on Kelburn, Te Aro and Pipitea from 7 – 10pm to walk you home/to a bus stop/a well lit area when you’ve been studying late at night but what about outside their hours?

Over the next six weeks, VUWSA will be carrying out a survey and identify risks on campus to see if there is anything we can do to make you feel safer. After all, you’re spending at least three years here and that is a lot of late night library sessions – especially with exams fast approaching. The coolest thing is that the University has agreed to work with VUWSA and do anything they can to help make your campus safer.

We’re not trying to scare you, and by all means don’t think that campus isn’t safe – there is security 24/7 and closed circuit cameras around to make after hours less threatening. We just think there can be more done to make your university a safe space.

VUWSA General Elections

I know, I know, we’ve just had a round of elections and we’re already amping up for some more. But these are the exciting ones. You could replace me! The constitution requires you to be a self-identifying woman, but if you are and you’re interested then you can contact me at wro@vuwsa.org.nz to find out just what it means to be Women’s Rights Officer. It’s lots of fun, and you get to organize events like picnics, fashion shows and gigs.

VUWSA Women’s Group

If you’re interested in joining the group, email vuwsa.womens.group@gmail.com to be put on the mailing list and kept in the loop about the weekly meetings. Also you can follow us on Twitter (@vuwsawomens) and check out our tumblr to stay updated on important feminist issues.

Have a great rest of the year!

Caitlin

1. AUSA President Anand Rama Resigns
  2. My Attention is Broke
  3. WHERE VIRAL DREAMS GO TO DIE
  4. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube