Candidates’ Forum Miraculously Attracts a Crowd

The Candidates’ Forum held last Tuesday at 1pm in Mount Street Bar attracted a surprisingly large crowd. Following the by-election Candidate Forum’s audience of just six people in July, the crowd of 60 students on Tuesday was impressive.

Apart from two students who left quickly after realising their drinks had been gate-crashed by VUWSA, and a group of students who spent much of the time on the couches texting and listening to music, most of the audience were actually there to hear what the candidates had to say, or at the very least, were candidates themselves.

Returning Officer Rowena Tun ran the proceedings, welcoming everyone at the bar, introducing each candidate and cutting overzealous speeches short when they ran over time.

Particularly memorable speakers were Publications Committee Representative candidate Josh van Veen, who controversially described Salient as “fifty-five pages of toilet humour, inside jokes and trashy journalism”, and Activities Officer candidate Jack Riddell, who, when quizzed on how he would use the university’s new facilities, responded “throw parties and stuff, trash the shit out of them”.

The likely introduction of voluntary student membership (VSM) was a popular topic for most candidates, including Welfare Vice President candidate Asher Emanuel who said he wouldn’t talk about VSM, but then did anyway.

Former presidential candidate Gao Yuan, now only running for International Officer, failed to make an appearance.

Remaining presidential hopefuls Seamus Brady and Paul Smith campaigned with markedly opposite approaches, Brady citing his two and a half years’ experience with VUWSA and Smith claiming that with the approach of VSM, there was a lot to be said for having a fresh face at VUWSA.

An interview with Smith and Brady can be found on page 18 of this week’s issue of Salient.

A full list of candidates and their blurbs can be found in the election supplement in this issue, on the VUWSA noticeboard outside the Kelburn VUWSA Office, or on the VUWSA website www.vuwsa.org.nz.

The election results will be published in next week’s issue of Salient, announced on VBC and a notice will be placed on the VUWSA website and VUWSA noticeboard. All candidates will be notified by email.

For those students interested in hearing the results in person, the Returning Officer will also be announcing the results in the Mount Street Bar on Thursday 7 October at approx 5.15pm.