Offbeat Currently Off-limits

Local student hangout Offbeat Originals has abruptly ‘closed until further notice’ according to a sign put up in the window late last month.

Situated just off Cuba Mall, Offbeat has been open for the past three years, so the sudden closure is concerning for students spoken to by Salient.

“I remember going there on Tuesday, then walking past on Thursday and it was closed,” one student says.

“I love Offbeat, they’re awesome! It really sucks.”

The telephone number and Offbeat email address remained unanswered when Salient went to print on Thursday.

One student who lives above the popular student café says that Offbeat is seemingly always open.

“I’ve never seen Offbeat shut before—there is always someone downstairs from like ten in the morning ‘til ten at night.”

She says that the closure may have been caused by building leakages. Water has apparently been seeping through the deck above the café, resulting in a health and safety issue.

“The landlord came to see us the other day to tell us it was leaking into Offbeat and needed fixing so only one person was allowed on there at a time.

“We haven’t heard from them since so we are unsure what is happening.”

Only time will tell how long students will be cut off from Offbeat.