October 4, 2010 | by  | in Opinion |

President’s Column

VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE

The VUWSA Elections are currently underway! You will have received an email to your student account which allows you to vote online and you can also vote in person. Very easy. You should vote. VUWSA can be a powerful force in ensuring your time at University is the best it can be – both academically and socially. The basis of VUWSA is that only students can represent students, we believe that students should have a say in how much they are charged and for what services and what sort of education they receive. You can also vote in person. Details are on our website.

However, VUWSA is only as strong as the students that participate. VUWSA is important. Please take the time to find out about the candidates and vote for the students you think should lead VUWSA in a difficult year.

VSM—National Ignores Us

Some sad new. National Party members of the Education and Science Select Committee have voted to support the ACT Party in its efforts to put an end to accountable and effective student representation and services at Victoria and across the country. They have ignored 98% of the 4837 submissions on the Bill which were against the voluntary student membership Bill.

Under VSM student support services, advocacy, representation, clubs, events and VUWSA’s contribution to major building projects like the Campus Hub are at serious risk. Students can still be levied for services, but will no longer have a say in what services will be delivered and how much they cost. They will also no longer have a consistent student voice advocating for quality education and a better deal for students.

However, the fight is not over. The National Party could still save effective student representation and we will be calling on them to do that.

We are also taking the reasonable steps to organise for the possibility of VSM and there will be a feature on this in Salient next week.

Some Things Happening This Week:

1. We will be interviewing the candidates for 2011 Salient Editor. We will be looking for someone who can deliver you a quality publication, as well as manage a potential transition to VSM.
  2. We will be confirming the Orientation 2011 contract, with a view to radically improving Orientation and the first year experience in 2011. When we surveyed first year students we found that many students, particularly those not in Halls, thought that we needed to improve this and so this is a key strategic issue for us in 2011.
  3. We will be holding an event on the Karori campus, with the objective of better understanding how we can serve VUWSA.
  4. The President of the Council of Trade Unions, Helen Kelly will on campus on Monday to talk with interested students about the Government’s changes to employment law and how it may affect you. More info in this issue.

Cheers,
Max Hardy
president@vuwsa.org.nz

1. Oliver says:

What are the cost drivers of advocacy and representation? i.e. class reps, organising protests, and going to council meetings and how will they be affected?

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn