October 4, 2010 | by  | in Opinion |

Salient rates: Alternative places to study

It’s that time of year when you really should be holed up in the library, doing assignments, catching up on missed lectures and preparing for the multitude of tests/exams/essays you have coming up in the next two weeks. More often than not, the library is the least appealing place to set up camp for a day of study. It smells weird. Or someone’s stolen your favourite spot on the city side of the seventh floor. Bastards. Seriously, it’s annoying when you find the best spot ever and someone comes along and steals it. So if the library’s out, where to next?

The pub 2/10
Somewhere like Hotel Bristol is pretty dead during the day. There’s plenty of space for you to spread your shit out and you can have a casual beer. Or seven. This is the danger of studying at a bar: It’s never just one drink, and soon enough you’ll be thinking about McDonalds and bed. And you’ll have done no study.

In front of the boatsheds on the waterfront 8/10
Sure, this only works when it’s sunny and there’s not a gale blowing, but take your course notes, highlighters and maybe a cushion for added comfort (remember, you’re going to be sitting your butt on concrete). You have the added bonus of being able to work on your tan and you’ll be looking way more sun-kissed that those kids stuck inside in no time.

City Library 6/10
There are big windows from which you can overlook Civic Square and spy on the people outside having fun. There are also lots of interesting books that have nothing to do with what you’re meant to be studying. A major dilemma for the conscientious studier is the fact you’re not allowed to eat in the library (or drink coffee, for crying out loud), and security guards come round and tell you off. We’re not children, you realise?

The Salient office 3/10
The office feels like home to those of us who spend most of our waking hours within its confines. With its fun, family atmosphere, the office is not the most constructive place to study, most of the time. However, if everyone is tapping away on their keyboards (oh, lol), the rhythm can almost compel one to do work, to study, to make progress in life—for five minutes anyway. Then someone will spew water out of their mouth and all productivity will be killed. But at least you’re having fun, right?

Mount Victoria 0/10
While exercise is good for the mind, hiking up Mt Vic for the purpose of studying is not exactly the most appealing prospect. You will be hot and sweaty by the time you reach your study perch, and the weather is likely to have changed and the wind will be blowing and your study notes will be rained on. Boo!

At home, in bed 5/10
I like my bed. I like my bed a lot. I’m not in bed enough. While studying in bed may be warm and comfortable, it’s apparently bad to associate study with somewhere you rest and relax. And you can’t get to sleep properly either. Furthermore, the urge to clean my room always gets me. Love procrastination.

1