Students elect new VUWSA exec

“VUWSA won’t be the same without Alan Young!”—Alan Young

Students and candidates hoping to hear the results of the VUWSA General Election were left waiting for over an hour last Thursday at Mount Street Bar. Finally arriving just before 6.30pm, Returning Officer Rowena Tun announced the interim results to a crowd of about 30 students which mainly consisted of candidates and their supporters.

Current Welfare Vice-President Seamus Brady defeated Paul Smith for the role of President by a 70-vote margin. When spoken to by Salient, Brady said he was “stoked” about the result.

“I’m really excited about next year and working with the new exec members. I’m also really glad to have had a competitive opponent.”

Education Vice-President Bridie Hood was re-elected to the position with a convincing 344-vote margin. She was overjoyed with the result.

“I’m really, really excited,” she gushed. “I’ve got big plans and it’s going to be a great year!”

Newly-elected Administration and Welfare Vice-Presidents Daniel Wilson and Asher Emanuel have also been elected to the positions of Clubs Officer and Welfare Officer respectively. Where candidates are elected to more than one position on the VUWSA Exec, they must choose which position they will accept. The remaining position is then offered to the candidate who received the next highest number of votes.

If Wilson and Emanuel choose their Vice-President roles, it is likely that Jeremy Peters and Ta’ase Vaoga will fill the positions of Clubs Officer and Welfare Officer in 2011.

When spoken to by Salient, Emanuel seemed pleased with the opportunities next year has in store.

“It will be a challenging year and a transitional period for VUWSA, but I’m looking forward to working with a strong exec.”

Activities Officer Campbell Herbert was also elected to Publications Committee alongside Lewis van den Berg-Shaw. It is possible for Herbert to hold these roles conjointly, but if he chooses just one of the positions, Jack Riddell and Angus Hodgson are currently placed second in the roles of Activities Officer and Publications Committee respectively.

Both International Students Officer Gao Yuan and Queer Officer Tom Reed managed to defeat the option of no confidence, and Conrad Reyners received 974 votes for the position of University Council Representative, for which, due to a constitutional anomaly, students can only choose to vote for the sole candidate or not
vote at all.

Although official voter turnout figures have not been released, it is likely that only around 1000 students voted in this election, which is a significantly lower figure than in recent years.

There was a mixed mood amongst candidates in the aftermath of the release of results. Beside a delighted Hood, many of the candidates who were successfully elected seemed comparatively unexcited about their new positions.

Current Activities Officer Alan Young told anyone who would listen that “VUWSA won’t be the same without Alan Young!”

President Max Hardy congratulated fellow VUWSA exec members Hood and Brady for their success in the election on his Facebook page.

In the VUWSA office an oversized martini glass was filled with a bizarre concoction of alcoholic beverages to celebrate Brady’s new role as President. It later appeared in the Salient office, delivered by two fairly inebriated VBC staff members, who seemed to have indulged a little too much in Brady’s success.

Final results of the VUWSA General Election will be posted on the VUWSA website and the noticeboard outside the VUWSA Kelburn office in the Student Union Building as soon as they are confirmed.

1