October 11, 2010 | by  | in Theatre |

The Master and Margarita

This year’s production from the Asian Theatre Practice Paper in the Theatre Department is, as is to be expected, totally insane. But good insane. Fun insane. Bonkers, if you will. Adapted from a novel—and it shows with its hanging plots and sometimes leaden plotting—it tells the story of how the production of a play in Soviet-era Russia about Judas is disrupted by the appearance of a man who may or may not be the devil.

The design is outstanding (though the lights seem very unfinished), especially the costumes, and it is hard
not to admire the sheer vim with which the cast throw themselves into the work. The Master and Margarita has a great attitude and style which are really only let down by the whole being twenty minutes too long and how it tends to lose focus towards the end. A treat.

The Master and Margarita
Wri. Bulgakov
Dir. Megan Evans
At 77 Fairlie Tce

Uther was one of the two arts editors in 2009. He was the horoscopier and theatre writer in 2010. Alongside Elle Hunt, Uther was coeditor in 2011.

1. Rose says:

I would have enjoyed the show SO much more if one of the performers hadn’t headed straight for their friends in the row behind me the second the show was over and very loudly proclaimed that the audience was shit.