University to crack down on crime

Your laptop may be set to get a whole lot safer when you abandon it to brave the lunchtime queues at UniStop.

As reported in Salient last week, student property has been the target for thieves over the last few weeks.

Two laptops were taken from study areas at the Law School. One was taken in the time it took the owner to use the bathroom.

A number of items also went missing from the School of Architecture and Design at Te Aro Campus and the School of Information Management in the Easterfield building at Kelburn Campus.

In response to these thefts, Campus Security, University Librarians and VUWSA have been discussing the issue.

In the short term, VUWSA President Max Hardy says the library is looking at implementing an education campaign.

“Measures will be put in place to do with educating people about protecting their property,” he says.

The Library is also considering measures which would allow students to safely leave their laptops in the library while they leave for short periods.

“We are investigating a number of options for all our libraries, including installing laptop lockers,” University Librarian Sue Roberts says.

Hardy also believes other security options are being considered.

“In the longer term the Library are investigating installing laptop lockers or providing students with the ability to lock their laptop to the table,” he says.

VUWSA is supportive of the measures the library is looking at putting in place.

“We are supportive of these measures and will continue to follow them up,” Hardy says.

One student spoken to by Salient thinks the proposed changes are “an awesome idea”.

Another thinks it is a good idea but questions how it would work.

“I like the idea of being able to fasten your computer to the table…not entirely sure how it would work but could be a good idea.”

If students are victims of theft on campus they can contact Campus Security at the Kelburn, Pipitea and Te Aro campuses.

1