October 4, 2010 | by  | in Music |

VBC’s Pick of the Week: Victoria Student Media and Muzai Records present… Kistunegari (AK), Fatangryman (AK), The Postures, Mammal Airlines

Thistle Hall, Friday 8th October
All Ages, 8pm start

This week sees the long-awaited Wellington debut for two of Auckland’s fiercest acts of 2010, Kitsunegari and Fatangryman.

After opening stints for Die!Die!Die! and Street Chant, no-wave trio FATANGRYMAN finally make their way down to Wellington after a barrage of airplay on The VBC and plaudits from bands and muso’s alike. Their eponymous first release bypassed ‘teenage angst’ for a more mature, curmudgeon-like tones while still retaining a bratty quality amongst their melee of noise.

Having only just released ‘Alles Gute Zum Geburstag oder Herzlichen Gluckenwunsch’ online and amassing an incredible 300 downloads in its first three days, Kitsunegari’s genre-hopping creativity is masterminded by Reuben Winter (Bandicoot, People People), drawing from influences as far and wide as Slint, Boris, Mastodon and Devo.

Joining them for local support are fellow MUZAI act The Postures, who have embarked on a nationwide tour with god bows to math in celebration of their 10” release, set to host “Double Deuce” at the San Francisco Bath House later in the month and flying the flag for the label into Australia with a tour around Melbourne.

Having performed at this year’s Borderline Festival in Auckland at the personal request of Rohan Evans and running the copyleft-esque record label Papaiti, Mammal Airlines’ lo-fidelity pop is as laden with perhaps the most honest sentiments you’ll come to find in a while (It means they’re damn good).

Doors at 8pm, $5 door charge, no need for ID.