Victoria rewards sporting excellence

Victoria University’s finest sportspeople gathered last week to celebrate the presentation of the Victoria University of Wellington Blues Awards.

The Awards were held at The Boat Shed on Wednesday 6 October and were hosted by VUWSA and the Victoria University Sports Council.

Two debaters took out the top awards of the night. Sebastian Templeton was awarded Sports Administrator of the Year and Stephen Whittington was named Sports Person of the Year.

Adventurer Jamie Fitzgerald addressed the audience as the guest speaker. Fitzgerald was the first New Zealander to reach the South Pole unsupported on foot. He also holds the world record for winning the Trans-Atlantic Rowing Race in 2003.

Together with Graeme Dingle, Fitzgerald also created The Big Walk with the Foundation of Youth Development. The pair walked the 3000km Te Araroa Trail which stretches the length of New Zealand.

As well as the two top prizes, debaters were also well represented in the other Blues category. Other winners represented a wide variety of sports including fencing, athletics, squash, handball, water polo and
underwater hockey.

Fencing, debating and rugby were also represented in the categories of Excellence in Sports Administration and Sports Management.

University Blues are the highest honour the university awards to sportspeople who have excelled in their fields and brought credit to Victoria. Originating in Britan, Blues have been awarded to Victoria students since 1902.

Past Blues winners include All Blacks Graham Mourie, Jerry Collins and Conrad Smith, World Mountain Running Champ Kate McIlroy, and New Zealand Black Sticks captain Suzie Pearce.

The night was a great success thanks to VUWSA and the many volunteers who gave their time to the event.

VUWSA President Max Hardy thoroughly enjoyed the awards.

“I was delighted to attend the Blues Awards to celebrate our highest sporting achievements and sports at Victoria. University is so much more than our academic pursuits and it is great to recognise that.”

The event was sponsored by Victoria University of Wellington, VUWSA, vicbooks and Frank Casey Suit Hire.