VUWSA adopts two new life partners

Life-long VUWSA devotees Fleur Fitzsimmons and Karen Price were recognised with life-memberships at the AGM held late last month.

Under Part 1, s 6(B)(1) of the VUWSA Consitution, a person can become a life member if they are elected by a two-thirds majority at a general meeting.

Both Fitzsimmons and Price were said to be “thoroughly deserving” of their life-memberships because of their past and ongoing contributions to VUWSA and other students’ associations.

Fitzimmons was President in 2002 and Co-President of the New Zealand Union of Students’ Associations (NZUSA) in 2003 and 2004, launching a successful review of discrimination agaist women under the student loan scheme. She currently serves on University Council and has formerly served on the VUWSA Trust.

Price served as Vice-President (Welfare) in 2004 and National Women’s Rights Officer for NZUSA in 2005. At Victoria she worked hard for strong childcare services, the Creche Parents Committee rep group and a Women’s space on campus. Price has served on the VUWSA Trust and currently works as a Research and Policy Analyst for NZUSA.

1. bilbo says:

The “review of discrimination agaist women under the student loan scheme” (sic) was not “successful.” It was actually thrown out, so is the very opposite of successful. Where’s your evidence for that statement?

2. samwise smackdown of the shire says:

bilbo the ring its turned you evil

3. in the know says:

@bilbo: it wasn’ t thrown out, the original claim was accepted but the Human Rights Commission, NZUSA went through about three years of mediation with Crown Law and Ministry of Education officials on behalf of the Govt, and when the interest free student loan policy was announced (interest-bearing loans were the centre of the claim) by the then Labour Govt the claim’s main point had obviously been addressed. So NZUSA withdrew the claim.

Where is your evidence for that statement?

1