VUWSA cleans up at NZUSA elections

…actually

VUWSA President Max Hardy and Women’s Rights Officer Caitlin Dunham were successfully elected to the roles of Co-President and National Women’s Rights Officer (NWRO) at the New Zealand Union of Students’ Associations (NZUSA) Conference early this month.

Held at Palmerston North’s UCOL and hosted by their student association AS@U, the conference ran from Friday to Sunday, with elections held on the Friday night.

Hardy, who was elected alongside current Co-President David Do, was pleased with the result.

“I am very grateful to have the privilege to serve as Co-President in 2011.”

Do and Dunham were both elected in heir first round of voting and Hardy in the second round, ahead of other Co-President candidates, Massey Albany President Rawa Karetai and AS@U President Jo Hymers.

Candidates must have the support of a two-thirds majority in order to be elected. Votes are allocated to each students’ association based on the number of members they have. As reported in last week’s Eye on Exec, VUWSA gave one set of votes to Hardy and the other set to Do, allocating all of their votes to Dunham for the NWRO position.

Major issues currently facing the tertiary sector, such as VSM, changes to student loans and the TEC’s performance-based funding, were also on the agenda for discussion at the conference.

Hardy says that these issues, along with the election, will ensure a busy year for NZUSA in 2011.

“Next year is going to be an absolutely crucial year for NZUSA and students’ associations around the country. We are facing an election campaign, with a Government that has shown a willingness to cut funding to the tertiary education sector, reduce access to loans and question the vital interest-free policy.”

Hardy says that work may also have to be carried out within NZUSA in order to meet the challenges posed by VSM.

“There are also potentially some very big changes around the corner for NZUSA, and I will have the job of ensuring that this happens smoothly and that we come out of it stronger.”

The conference was attended by student leaders from universities and polytechnics around New Zealand and featured Universities New Zealand Chair Derek McCormack as a guest speaker.