February 28, 2011 | by  | in Theatre |

Don’t Eat The Bed

I want them back, Hugh Grant. No, not my shoes, you can keep those. I’m talking about the hours I’ve spent watching the nauseating gag-fests that you have the gall to refer to as ‘films’. What exactly are you smirking at, Katherine Heigl? Sure, I found Knocked Up tolerable but only because I think Seth Rogen is a babe—and your recent jaunts with Gerard Butler and Ashton Kutcher should hardly fill you with pride. I spit on all romantic comedies!

Yet it was my intense hatred of rom-coms which first drew me to Don’t Eat the Bed, a Fringe show which came about when the members of Pinwheel tried to deconstruct the genre. “It’s everything you’ve seen before, like you’ve never seen it before,” explains director Thomas McGrath. “Don’t Eat the Bed is what romantic comedies actually want to be like, and we are proud to show it.” Let’s imagine that you’re wandering amongst the aisles of your local DVD store when you reach out and pick up a copy of Don’t Eat the Bed and, turning the DVD over, you read

Join an all-star cast for the romantic comedy of the summer. Watch as a chocolatier and a dentist discover that true love really does come over everything. Then we’ll smoke some crack!

Grab a bag of Maltesers and head to the counter because this sounds good.Whereas rom-coms usually leave me with an intense feeling of shame on behalf of the human race, Don’t Eat the Bed urges you to “come and get your heart smashed—then lovingly glued back together in a strange shape.” If anything is going to cure my bitter disdain for Romantic Comedy, it is this show of summer sweetness.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos