February 21, 2011 | by  | in News |

Eye on Exec

This was the first VUWSA exec meeting I’d ever attended, and I crept into the room with a vague feeling of being watched. And judged. The first half of the meeting was quite serious. Boring, some might say.

They went over the minutes of last meeting, which—as far as I could tell—involved talking about something that had already happened, and which they’d all been present for. Clubs Officer Jeremy Peters told us about a meeting he was organising that he wanted VUWSA members to attend, and Campaigns Officer Josh Van Veen said he hadn’t handed in a work report, because he hadn’t known it was required of him. Everyone else had managed one, though: huge success!

There was discussion of a presentation, postponed until Thursday, that would be held at that well-known corporate hotspot, the Southern Cross. There was a presentation of the Student Experience Improvement Survey, which will be used to inform university decisions. A representative of Postgraduate Students’ Assocation requested more paid hours for the PGSA’s Executive Assistant, as she is working far more hours than she is curently being reimbursed for.

Things got more lively when Activities Officer Campbell Herbert announced his proposal regarding the Alcohol Reform Bill, an issue that most of the exec seemed to find important. This proposal moved that the drinking age remain at 18; bars’ trading hours be made more flexible; and the price of alcohol be left unchanged, or any increase be manifested in the form of an excise tax.

On the subject of trading hours, Herbert was heard to remark, “If I want to drink at 7am, that should be my choice. I don’t see the harm in that.” His sobriety was then called into question when he slurred that “VUWSA… s-submit… the alcohols… proposal?…”

A request for funding for a follow-up to last year’s successful Art Therapy event was rasied. All were in favour except Welfare Officer Ta’ase Vaoga, who was concerned that students might slip in the paint. It was decided that, since the paint would be on the walls, it was a relatively low-risk initiative. $1,200 was allocated.

I felt apprehensive for the duration of these proceedings, and the regular mutterings of “shhh… Salient’s here” made me feel a little unwanted, but, as far as I can tell, this meeting was a success.

1. Not Again says:

FFS. Could we please have an Eye on the Exec that does not start with the reporter inanely discussing themselves? I mean, OMG, over it.

Seriously, your job is not to tell us everything that went on in the meeting. We honestly don’t care that you found the meeting boring. That’s why we don’t go and instead rely on you to go.

2. Miller says:

*only reads first sentence*
    *assumes the rest of the article is the same*
    *complains*

3. Not Again says:

Except I didn’t only read the first sentence. The second paragraph starts by explaining that they passed the minutes. Seriously it does.

Perhaps I was too quick to anger but I hope this year will see a better quality of reporting than we have seen in the past.

4. smackdown says:

not again is exactly what i said when i saw that Not Again had posted another comment ahaha owned

1