February 28, 2011 | by  | in News |

New Zealand to Provide Vanuatu With Fast-Acting Relief

New Zealand will support Vanuatu with $50,000 to assist in recovery efforts after Cyclone Vania in January.

Foreign Minister Murray McCully made the announce-ment on 18 February, saying the money would go to the Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA)
in Vanuatu.

“ADRA is a non-Government organisation that has been involved in a number of disaster recovery efforts. It is well positioned to assist with the repair of water supply infrastructure and will work with the Government of Vanuatu’s Department of Rural Water Supply.”

Cyclone Vania hit in late January, causing extensive damage to food crops and infrastructure.

“We are currently only halfway through the cyclone season and it is important that we help our Pacific neighbours to recover rapidly from natural disasters so they are well positioned to deal with any future events,” Mr McCully said.

Vanuatu was already facing developmental challenges such as rising unemployment, low education and limited access to services such as healthcare.

They are a member of The New Zealand Aid Programme which focuses on economic development, education, and governance through financial and personnell support.

1