February 28, 2011 | by  | in News |

O What a Week

As Salient went to print on Thursday night, first-years had recovered from the Neon Toga party in time to attend Yes Yes Ya’ll in the brand spanking new Hunter Lounge in the Student Union Building.

Despite popular opinion, however, this week isn’t all about getting drunk, going to the Big K and wearing bedsheets.

Move-in day, Sunday 20 February was the start of a big week for first-years. Alex
O’Connor, new resident at Victoria House, describes the day as “nerve-wracking, to say the least”.

“I spent most of those first hours convinced I’d made the wrong choice and wondering why on earth I left my friends and family in the first place, and just generally convinced I was going to be forever alone in this hall of seemingly intimidating people.

“Of course, by dinner I’d already made a few friends. It’s amazing how many people you meet within four or five days, and really good because everyone’s so nice—they’re all in the same position as you.”

The toga party at Hunter Lounge was said to be “togalicious”, with enthusiasm expressed about the exposed breasts onstage.

Underage students were unhappy that the toga party was not an all-ages event.

Many assumed it was, and some were left wandering the streets wearing bedsheets.

DJ Kev Fresh said that there were even tears.

Other popular events were residence orientation activies. The ever-popular Weir House Operation Relocation and the Victoria House Amazing Race challenge were particularly memorable among Wellington citizens.

The annual Halls Chanting Competition in Civic Square was marked this year by police presence.

Constable Barry ‘Baz’ Murfin told Salient that a male student drew the attention of the police, but was not arrested.

“I think it’s safe to say we assisted the male in reaching the help he needed. It was an unfortunate situation for him.”

One problem faced by the majority of students was the queue to get student ID cards and pay fees.

The enrolment and ID card office has recently been merged with the student fees office, which means limited counter space and facilities.

Many students complained about waiting in line for up to two hours to get their cards or to check their fee status, despite the best efforts of staff.
Similar problems were encountered when students tried to add or drop papers.

For many students, Orientation celebrations were interrupted by Tuesday’s earthquake. Many were worried about family and friends in Christchurch and RAs, Hall Managers and new friends were called on to support those affected.

“The silver lining of the Christchurch earthquake was that it was able to bring a lot of people closer, everyone knows someone that was affected,” said Alex O’Connor.
VUWSA President Seamus Brady was enthusiastic about this year’s O Week.

“Orientation has exceeded all expectations to date. If the rest of it is anything like what we’ve just had, Orientation 2011 will go down as one of the best Victoria has seen in a very long time.”