February 21, 2011 | by  | in News Opinion |

Pasifika Students’ Council

The Pasifika Students’ Council (PSC) is a representative group for Pacific Students at VUWSA. This year, PSC is raising its support to the next level, and it’s going to be a spectacular change. The new team of officers have combined powers for 2011, and PSC has reconstructed its vision for more events, study groups and opportunities for Pacific students. Whether you are from Aotearoa or abroad, Palagi, Maori or Pacific mix, you are welcome to join.

We have represented students from Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, Niue, Tahiti, PNG, Tokelau, Tuvalu and the Solomons. Pasifika NZ’s from Aotearoa—Porirua, the Hutt and town. We’re all here! Many are a part of other students’ associations (Samoan, Tongan, Melanesian, Fijian), and many are keen to form their own, but we all get together every week to discuss, advocate, share issues on anything concerning the Pacific/Oceania and its diverse peoples.

Events for cultural arts and wider social gatherings have been prepared beforehand. We are going to discover the different talents of the Pacific Islanders at every event. PSC will also represent Victoria University at National Student Association gatherings for Pasifika students.

These events are going to be displayed throughout O Week as we welcome Pacific students to sign up to clubs. PSC will be present at Clubs Week as we get Pasifika students in touch with other Pasifika students on campus. As usual, we serve kai and Pacific food! Our Meet and Greets then happen at the weekend as we explore the culture and arts of Fiji, Samoa, the Cook Islands, Tonga, etc. at Mixjah.

Every Wednesday in Te Taratara a Kae (the Maori and Pacific space in the Library, Level 2) we hold Loto Aho study sessions from 4pm-6pm. We cluster into smaller groups based on interest/paper/programme of study. The success of Loto Aho last year has motivated the team to focus more on the study leaders’ commitment for a well-organised group. 75 per cent of students who attended Loto Aho passed their courses. This motivated PSC to increase its support for students and committed leaders to work even harder.

Truly, this year is the year to make a great history for the Pacific Islanders as we raise everything to the next level! We can bring a change to students’ lives, starting from an individual to a larger scale.

These are the following events we’ve scheduled for 2011:
PSC will be at Clubs’ Week during O Week
Meet and Greet Orientation Welcome, 7-11pm on Saturday 5 March at MIXJAH Loto Aha Study and Pizza
Whanau/Aiga Clusters, 4-6pm on Wednesday, 9 March at Te Taratara a Kae, Level 2 of the Victoria University Library

We are also planning a study Wanaga, ten pin bowling, political gatherings and an end-of-year event. Special thanks to those who supported these events and those who have contributed to make these events possible.

PSC is committed to success, committed to equity/equality, committed to serving you and communities at large in Aotearoa and nation states. We look forward to being a part of your malaga here at Victoria University!

Your Pasifika Students’ Council

1