February 23, 2011 | by  | in News |

Quakes Close Canterbury Campus

Canterbury University campus is closed until further notice after a violent series of aftershocks hit Christchurch yesterday.

The University has advised that no fatalities or serious injuries have been reported on campus.

However, aftershocks continue to shudder through Canterbury. All classes will be cancelled for the rest of the week, with students to check back on the University website for further updates.

After the magnitude 6.3 quake struck at 12.51pm, Canterbury University students and staff were marshalled on to the Ilam field. Those who were able and confident to leave the campus by foot were advised to do so.

The University Health Centre remained open, with two doctors present.

Canterbury University Students’ Association UCSA is already rallying another ‘volunteer student army’ to provide student man-power and support to a city almost ruined by multiples of shallow quakes today.

They have also provided a forum on Facebook for students whose accommodation has been affected by the earthquake. “Once we know how many people are affected then we can get some plans for re-housing if you need it,” they posted today.

Canterbury O-Week celebrations ‘Amp It Up’ are currently on hold, with UCSA President Kohan McNab guessing that the celebrations with be “cancelled or postponed”.

Sebastian Boyle, editor of Canterbury University’s magazine Canta, told Salient that their first issue was at the printers at the time of the quake.

“I’m not allowed access to campus until at least tomorrow, can’t access work email, and there’s no word on when university will reopen, so it’s all a bit uncertain.”

Students all over the country will be affected by the quake, which has caused far more destruction than the September 4th earthquake due to the timing, and the quake’s shallow distance under the earth.

Victoria University is offering a counselling service for any student affected by the quakes. They are located on Level 1 of the Student Union Building on the Kelburn campus.

Photo by James Hurndell

1. AUSA President Anand Rama Resigns
  2. My Attention is Broke
  3. WHERE VIRAL DREAMS GO TO DIE
  4. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube