February 28, 2011 | by  | in Music |

The Time For Love

Music and love go together like warm weather and barbecue charcoal shortages. So we asked a few people which love song they like the best…

‘Take Ecstasy With Me’ by the Magnetic Fields from the album Holiday evokes many levels of swoon. The layers of percussion and synth swallow you up, and the lyrics about childhood and drug use can’t help but make you feel wooed down to your shoes. Like Wellington sunsets and hot concrete and all those lovely things.

Axel Shaw: Love. Music. Hard not to think of The Beatles, who had to go through their fifth album (Help!) to get to record a song NOT about love, girls and broken hearts. ‘Nowhere Man’ which was released in 1965 (Rubber Soul), would be the right answer; their first #1 non-love hit being their single ‘Paperback Writer’.

Mark Turner: The Beach Boys, ‘God Only Knows’. It’s a pretty cheesy choice but this love song is great. I like the balance of idealism and realism, “I may not always love you, but long as there are stars above you…” Love doesn’t always last forever but he’ll show you that he loves you heaps. It’s also Sir Paul McCartney’s favourite song and that guy knows a thing or two about love.

Louise Burston: ‘Starlight’ by Muse. I’m not certain of many things in life. I don’t know what my blood type is or how to really define irony and I am not equipped with even the most basic understanding of statistics. What I DO know is that I will unreservedly fling my heart at the feet of whoever serenades me with this song.

1