February 21, 2011 | by  | in Arts Books |

Top Five Books to read in First year

Don’t quote me: Author tweet of the week
J.C. Hutchins, podcast novel pioneer

“I have spectacularly overeaten. My stomach is pizza-packed. I reckon I shall soon have supernovic shits. I’ll not cheat on my diet again.:)”

The Dark Fields by Alan Glynn.

The latest book-to-film adaptation, much of what you need to know is that Robert De Niro liked the script enough to want to star in it. A great debut from Glynn, it follows down-and-out writer Eddie Spinola, who spends his days having dark thoughts, combating writer’s block, and being sub-par at everything he does. In comes the chance to test out a miraculous new drug that allows the user to achieve their full potential, and suddenly Spinola has the world by the balls. Until he discovers the disturbing side-effects. Sinister, well-paced, and darkly satisfying, it carries a veiled warning about the dangers of striving for perfection. Brought to the silver screen in March by Neil Burger (The Illusionist) it also features Abbie Cornish and a wise casting choice in The Hangover’s Bradley Cooper as Spinola. Fingers crossed that he’ll use his comedic charm to do Glynn’s sardonic humour justice. Youtube the trailer now.

Orientation special: the fun world of the Uni library

The Uni library is a special place. It’s warm in winter. It has free wi-fi. Also, it’s a great place to flick through Salient and pick up hot nerds. But don’t be fooled, cocky first years! It isn’t all shelf-sex and tasty librarians. Whether you’re getting your humanities on at Kelburn campus or doing “serious law research” at Pipitea, the Uni library is your first stop for a legitimate and Wikipedia-free bibliography. Should you get confused, skip the library tour and instead milk your freshman status by badgering the staff for help. Try not to get the group/quiet study zones mixed up. Don’t sing along to your iPod. Be adventurous—walk the seven flights of stairs. Top up your printer account. If you need to, you can photocopy shit. For god’s sake, DO NOT FACEBOOK WHEN PEOPLE ARE WAITING IN LINE TO PRINT ASSIGNMENTS. Remembering these handy tips may lessen your chances of being lampooned in the letters pages of Salient, but we doubt it. Ah, welcome to Uni.

Of the moment: Nalini Singh

New Zealand author makes good, with Singh cracking The New York Times bestseller list to land herself a No.8 spot with her latest literary offering Archangel’s Consort, the most recent book in the supernatural Guild Hunter series. Quite the overachiever, Singh has worked as a lawyer, teacher, librarian, and delightfully, a candy factory general hand. Since she started writing in 2002, Singh has won a legion of devotees because of her ability to blend romance with the paranormal, creating a niche for herself as a consistent and well-established master of the genre. Leave your Twilight comparisons at the door—Singh’s passion for the supernatural began as a genuine interest in science fiction, and she bases her characters on the credo that “no heroine (or hero) can be interchangeable with another”. Suck on that, Bella Swan. Not one to rest on her laurels, Archangel’s Consort, Singh’s twenty-second book in only nine years, marks her ninth entry on to The New York Times bestseller list. And that’s an achievement that more than excuses her salacious book titles.

1