February 21, 2011 | by  | in News |

Victoria Receives Business and Accounting Accreditation

Victoria is the first university in New Zealand to achieve internationally recognised accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) in business and accounting.

The AACSB accreditation is held by just three schools in Australasia and less than one per cent of business schools worldwide.

Pro Vice-Chancellor and Dean of the Faculty of Commerce and Administration Professor Bob Buckle says this gives Victoria “the edge over other business schools.

“It reflects the quality and relevance of our programmes, which had to measure up to high international standards.”

John Shewan, Chairman of PricewaterhouseCoopers and Chair of the Advisory Board to the Faculty, commented on the benefits of this accreditation for students.

“When business, government or the professional accounting firms recruit new staff they can be sure that students from an AACSB accredited institution have come through a high quality programme, and thus students with that on their CV have a distinct advantage.

“It will also mean more international students looking to Victoria with the assurance that they will receive a top quality education.”

The AACSB praised the faculty for its focus on student interaction business and government interests in the city.

It also commented that the faculty’s learning and assessment processes were of a higher calibre than other institutions in the field.

Buckle attributed the accreditation to the dedication and commitment of the teaching staff of the faculty.

“Staff have worked incredibly hard to achieve this accreditation. They consistently produce relevant high quality research and deliver outstanding programmes to our students and I thank them for their dedication.”

AACSB is the largest and most recognised global accrediting body for business schools. To earn a business accreditation, an institution must satisfy 21 business quality standards. Accounting accreditation then requires an additional 15 accounting-specific standards and a meticulous internal review and evaluation process.

1