Animal of the Week – the Komondor Dog

This week, we look at one of Hungary’s greatest national treasures: the komondor dog.

This obscure-looking breed of dog has been around for almost five centuries, and it’s looked super fly the whole time. The komondor is often referred to as the mop dog, and it’s not hard to see why: it looks like it was made out of bits of leftover wool and felt as part of a child’s craft project. It developed its comical appearance to help moderate its temperature in conditions of extreme heat and cold. As puppies, they have soft, fluffy fur that later develops into their characteristic dreadlocks after about two years. When they’re fully grown, they have the heaviest fur of any canine, though this doesn’t hinder their agility, as seen on the cover of Beck’s Odelay!. And just as well, for in Hungary, komondor dogs are used as livestock guards.

Their coats allow them to camouflage themselves in amongst the sheep, and if needed, these handsome devils are tough enough to defend their charges against wolves, coyotes, cougars and even bears. As well as defending their flocks, the komondor is a trusted guard dog against home invaders. As the ol’ Hungarian komondor breeders used to say (to the tune of ‘Hotel California’): an intruder may be allowed to enter the property, but he will not be allowed to come out. So, as long as the komondor is on the case, there’s no need to hide yo’ kids, hide yo’ wife.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June