Design the Radio of the Century! Radio New Zealand Design Contest

Last year, Radio New Zealand offered students a golden start to their design career. This year, it’s happening again, with the Sounds Like Us Design Contest.

Students are now invited to submit designs for a radio that captures any aspect of New Zealand culture from the last 100 years. Designs can be hand drawn sketches, technical drawings, mac visuals or any other medium of the designer’s choice.

The best design will be brought to life by a top New Zealand model maker and feature this July in the Auckland Art Gallery exhibition: ‘Sounds Like Us. 100 Years of Radio in New Zealand’.

The winner will be invited to see their design being crafted as a model radio, and travel to Auckland for the exhibition.

The design brief and full details of how to enter will be available online at soundslikeus.co.nz from 27 March. The site also includes the existing radios of New Zealand and last year’s winning designs.

The 2010 contest saw entries from design colleges across New Zealand. The range of ideas was incredibly broad and the standard was very high. The judges, including Richard Taylor from Weta Workshop, finally narrowed down the shortlist, from which new radios were made.

All 13 radios were then exhibited at Te Papa, which became a very popular exhibit. For the winning students, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to craft their designs with Weta Workshop and gain such exposure for their ideas.

This year, the Auckland Art Gallery is keen to bring new dimensions to the exhibition with a historical journey through the 100 year history of radio in New Zealand, featuring rare content exclusive to Radio New Zealand’s Archives.

Students can submit designs between 1 April and 13 May. Entries will be shortlisted and the final winner chosen by a panel of judges including Richard Taylor and Chris Saines, Director of the Auckland Art Gallery, at the end of May. The radio will then be constructed, with input from the winning student, to be displayed at The Auckland Art Gallery from 8th July.

The competition is open to all New Zealanders, so start thinking about what the Radio of the Century could be and seize this incredible opportunity now.

1