Editorial. Cuisine. Cuisitorial.

Last year, one of us had a copy of Cuisine magazine sent to their dilapidated hovel, courtesy of a Meridian Energy contract that had long expired.

They enjoyed this subscription, and would excitedly pore over its sumptuous pages of buffalo’s milk cheese and fresh oysters as she ate Budget brand pasta (less than $1 a packet!), with Pam’s pasta sauce, with Home Brand frozen veges. They did not fail to notice the incongruity between what was on the pages,and what was on her plate, and her innocent, hungry eyes would fill with tears—which would prove to be the only refined liquid to pass her lips that year that wasn’t ready mixed with no-name alcho-dribble.

So, while the inspiration for this issue came from the real Cuisine, you might not find a whole lot of crossover between it and Salient’s take on their shared subject matter. There aren’t many students that can afford to dine at Logan Brown every Wednesday, sup on champagne-brushed heron as nubile and glittering waitpeople massage delightful aromatic herbs into self churned butter made from the milky tears of peacocks that is to be served with ladles of crème de gold-coated seal. Student food is tinned and reheated, rather than braised or decanted.

Much like moving into a flat halfway over the edge of a ravine with a family of overweight trampolinists, food on a student budget is a hard balancing act. But, as students, we’re all faced with the issue of eating cheaply, healthily, and tastily—with those three factors falling very much into a you can have two of these at the expense of the third equation. The dominating monolith of all students’ lives is their bank balance, so it is almost always health or taste that is sacrificed for the sake of your overdraft. It doesn’t have to be that way. We hope that some of the advice dotted throughout this Cuisine issue of Salient (in between the meatier chunks of info-feature) help you readdress that balance.
Bon appetit and good eatin’!

Uther & Elle
P.S. Turns out it’s Salient’s birthday this week. Happy Birthday Salient—still young at 74!

Uther makes theatre. Elle grew up on a boat. Together they edit Salient.

1. Sarah says:

Guys, I know maths has never been the strength of successive editors, but Salient actually turns 73 this week… It’s that weird thing with the volume number and the actual age not being the same. Almost fell into that trap on the cover of issue 3 last year. Oops.

2. Elle Hunt says:

You win, Sarah. You win. Happy now?

3. Sarah says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Is what I am.

4. smackdown says:

what am i going to do with 74 smiley-faced ping-pong balls i was gonna put in da microwave so 74 screech owls could chase them around outside da office on production night????

5. My Name says:

plz salient can we have alan young as a columnist plz

6. Electrum Stardust says:

Recent tragic events around the world should really force us to re-think food and the prioritisation of all the truly important things in life.

Money is fine and does have its uses– I would like to have lots of it, too. But let us not forget that it is, after all, an artificial invention, entirely man-made.

Food, glorious food—good ol’ natural produce from Mother Earth, free from radioactive contamination and ‘Frankenstein-ation’—is, on the other hand, far more fundamental to our well-being. Similarly water, which is increasingly recognised everywhere as a fundamental substance of utmost strategic importance, and which must be protected from all kinds of commercial exploitation and pollution.

All these highlight one of the most important relationships on the planet– that between humans and the environment that sustains us (as well as all other beings). And that environment must be carefully and consistently protected by law—another human creation—in a sustainable and sustaining manner, not just during and after disasters and ’emergencies’.

Such peace of mind is, along with the physical sustenance, vital to the WELFARE of all individual humans– which is what it all should be about, really.

7. Rayshelon says:

Your answer lifts the itnelilengce of the debate.

1