Editorial. Teaching. Editeachitorial.

We thought we’d open this editorial with a couple of vignettes of our most influential teachers, but we couldn’t pick just two. Elle struggled to rank Madame Souch, who taught her oui from non, over her Photography tutor Warren, who paid her in coffee for cleaning up the darkroom. Uther just started listing people who let him get away with fucking around while, at the same time, managing to osmotically make him know something—John, Annie, Jane, Mark, Laurie, Belinda, Roger, Bharat—and couldn’t really stop.

At the end of the day, every teacher we’ve ever had has exerted some degree of influence over the people we are today. Every single one of them. Our favourites, our least favourites. Those that inspired us. Those that drove us around the bend. Even Miss Harler, who had a heart of evil, and made seven-year-old Elle dread the coming school day.

It’s easy to forget just how important teachers are, just as it’s easy to forget that the College of Education in Karori is actually a part of Vic, but this undermines the importance of educators in society. One of the students we interviewed for this issue referred to teachers as ‘the third parent’, and it’s true—teachers (or the good ones, at least) plant so many of the mind-seeds that later grow into great trees of knowledge. The role they play in shaping future generations is vital, but more often than not, they’re under appreciated, underpaid and overworked.

Which is why we made this issue about Teaching. To give them a fair go. To let them have their say. This issue is as much a chance to discuss the role of the teacher as it is us giving them a chance to be heard. We want to give teachers a chance to talk about what they do and why they do it—and in one case, why they stopped.

It’s often only ever in retrospect that we pause to acknowledge and appreciate the work our teachers put into making us thinking, functioning members of society. But, hopefully, this issue will encourage you to do just that. Spare a moment’s thought for those that taught you, because without them, you might not be here at
Vic, reading this issue of Salient, today. And wouldn’t that be a crying shame.

Thanks for reading. There will be a test.
Elle and Uther

Uther makes theatre. Elle grew up on a boat. Together they edit Salient.

1. My Attention is Broke
  2. WHERE VIRAL DREAMS GO TO DIE
  3. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube