Greens@Vic Talk Green At Vic

Green MP Gareth Hughes spoke about climate change to around 45 students at Victoria University on Tuesday. The talk, hosted by Greens@Vic, opened his national tour, entitled Unf*ck the World: Cheer Up The Future’s Bright.

The talk focused on climate change issues and how we are damaging our planet. Mr Hughes, who claims the title of ‘Walking-est’ MP since being ousted as youngest MP after the Botany bi-election, challenged students to think about the way they live and how that impacts on the earth.
“There is no planet ‘B’,” he reminded them. “We need to live like we are here to stay”.

Mr Hughes criticised the New Zealand Government (incumbent and otherwise) for their audacity in telling third world countries they need to do something about their emissions.
“How dare we ask India, where about one fifth of their emissions come from burning dung to cook their food, to reduce their emissions when we’re still increasing emissions, have the fifth highest per capita emissions in the OECD and second highest car ownership rate.”

When asked how to deal with scepticism over climate change issues Mr Hughes said he no longer engages in that type of debate.

“I am interested in the facts. The fact is that many governments admit that climate change is happening at a faster rate and more intensely than it was ever predicted.”
Mr Hughes ended his talk with a final challenge to get political (and get smart about it): protect MMP, our electoral system and make sure you have a voice.

Greens@Vic meet on campus every Tuesday.
If you would like information about their meetings you can contact Zachary Dorner vic@campusgreens.org.nz

1. Sambling says:

Greens are great when they are talking climate change but then they ruin there party with other stupid ideas.

1. Music
  2. WCC put in naughty corner by central government
  3. The sickest new dean
  4. Students strike sky-high rent
  5. More tax cuts for rich people
  6. Fire alarms Castle Street
  7. Everybody Poops
  8. Major protests in PNG
  9. Victoria hero graduates
  10. Govt says mental health services are fine
blues

Soul, Freedom, and Bluesfest

: The idea of throwing a massive birthday party is my worst nightmare. So it should come as no surprise that when the time came for me to plan my 21st birthday, I avoided giving anyone who asked a straight answer. Mum wanted a party, I wanted out. I wanted to run away. I was enroll