March 28, 2011 | by  |

Greens@Vic Talk Green At Vic

Green MP Gareth Hughes spoke about climate change to around 45 students at Victoria University on Tuesday. The talk, hosted by Greens@Vic, opened his national tour, entitled Unf*ck the World: Cheer Up The Future’s Bright.

The talk focused on climate change issues and how we are damaging our planet. Mr Hughes, who claims the title of ‘Walking-est’ MP since being ousted as youngest MP after the Botany bi-election, challenged students to think about the way they live and how that impacts on the earth.
“There is no planet ‘B’,” he reminded them. “We need to live like we are here to stay”.

Mr Hughes criticised the New Zealand Government (incumbent and otherwise) for their audacity in telling third world countries they need to do something about their emissions.
“How dare we ask India, where about one fifth of their emissions come from burning dung to cook their food, to reduce their emissions when we’re still increasing emissions, have the fifth highest per capita emissions in the OECD and second highest car ownership rate.”

When asked how to deal with scepticism over climate change issues Mr Hughes said he no longer engages in that type of debate.

“I am interested in the facts. The fact is that many governments admit that climate change is happening at a faster rate and more intensely than it was ever predicted.”
Mr Hughes ended his talk with a final challenge to get political (and get smart about it): protect MMP, our electoral system and make sure you have a voice.

Greens@Vic meet on campus every Tuesday.
If you would like information about their meetings you can contact Zachary Dorner vic@campusgreens.org.nz

1. Sambling says:

Greens are great when they are talking climate change but then they ruin there party with other stupid ideas.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. Salient seeks new contributors 94 views
  2. The Übermensch 29 views
  3. Web designer needed 27 views
  4. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 25 views
  5. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 17 views
  6. The Sedulous Recorder 17 views
  7. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 17 views
  8. The Bresolin Brothers 16 views
  9. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 16 views
  10. Ermagherd, rent 12 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more