Greens@Vic Talk Green At Vic

Green MP Gareth Hughes spoke about climate change to around 45 students at Victoria University on Tuesday. The talk, hosted by Greens@Vic, opened his national tour, entitled Unf*ck the World: Cheer Up The Future’s Bright.

The talk focused on climate change issues and how we are damaging our planet. Mr Hughes, who claims the title of ‘Walking-est’ MP since being ousted as youngest MP after the Botany bi-election, challenged students to think about the way they live and how that impacts on the earth.
“There is no planet ‘B’,” he reminded them. “We need to live like we are here to stay”.

Mr Hughes criticised the New Zealand Government (incumbent and otherwise) for their audacity in telling third world countries they need to do something about their emissions.
“How dare we ask India, where about one fifth of their emissions come from burning dung to cook their food, to reduce their emissions when we’re still increasing emissions, have the fifth highest per capita emissions in the OECD and second highest car ownership rate.”

When asked how to deal with scepticism over climate change issues Mr Hughes said he no longer engages in that type of debate.

“I am interested in the facts. The fact is that many governments admit that climate change is happening at a faster rate and more intensely than it was ever predicted.”
Mr Hughes ended his talk with a final challenge to get political (and get smart about it): protect MMP, our electoral system and make sure you have a voice.

Greens@Vic meet on campus every Tuesday.
If you would like information about their meetings you can contact Zachary Dorner

1. Sambling says:

Greens are great when they are talking climate change but then they ruin there party with other stupid ideas.

1. Turns out there wasn’t a bomb LOL
  2. IDF soldiers speak on campus
  3. Why I voted for fee rises
  4. Fuck the Establishment
  5. Facebook upset over fee rises
  6. Hack Like Nobody’s Watching
  7. The Ian Curtis Memorial Wall, Wallace Street: An Investigation
  8. Why I Hate Baby Boomers
  9. Foibles of a Foxton Forger
  10. Coppers Become Croppers

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.