International Students’ Officer

In the last few weeks, VUWSA has organized a series of activities that many international students have been involved with and have benefited from. Besides a massive orientation, VUWSA has moved into the new spacious and bright hall, and held a successful Initial General Meeting. It is happy to see that more and more international students from the same origins are getting together and setting up formal or informal organizations and communicating regularly, like the Vietnamese Students Association and the Nan Yang Institute of Technology Students and Scholars Association.

Attention, attention please! I am so glad to introduce the International Office to you once more, because so many international students cannot enjoy our service because they are unfamiliar with us. If you have any problems, any suggestions or any requirements, please feel free to email us. For the next period, the International Students’ Officer will promote the cooperation with Victoria University International Office to create more opportunities and bring more benefits for international students. Support from similar clubs, organisations and departments is also necessary.

Now we are promoting the International Students Council to you. This is a students monitored council that can present and pass your voice to the university directly. That bridge built up by International Students Council and VUWSA can help you connect with the campus. We will cooperate with ISC’s president Luke closely to fight for international students’ rights.

During the last month, many people have faced a grievous and catastrophic time, especially some international students in Victoria. The Canterbury earthquake broke Christchurch into pieces, and several international students lost their lives in the CTV building. Some international students in Vic are worried about their situation so we took this information to the University, which replied and took action on the same day. Soon after, the Japan earthquake and tsunami disaster happened. In the language learning library, some Japanese students sobbed as they got news. We are now planning to provide counselling to those affected, and are organizing a charity party to provide warmth and support.
Through what I have said above, I just want to prove that VUWSA has enough confidence and support to give international students a comfortable environment here as well as playing the role of the bridge.

So if you are an international student and face troubles like communication problems with domestic students, culture challenges, or have some excellent ideas about the development of VUWSA, feel free to contact myself, President Seamus Brady or any staff in VUWSA. Of course, we hope you are going well and share happiness together. Let’s build up the warm global family.

Andy Gao
international.officer@vuwsa.org.nz

1