March 21, 2011 | by  | in Arts Books |

Interview with Stephen Fleming

Salient grabs a minute with cricketing legend and NZBM reading role model Stephen Fleming.

How did you feel about being approached for New Zealand Book Month?

Rapt. I am very proud to be involved and help raise awareness for a very important cause.
You mention that you took a lot of comfort from Nigel Latta’s book Politically Incorrect Parenting. In what ways has it impacted your life?
It helped my wife and I define how we wanted to be as parents. It was a book that we were both able to connect with and as result we feel we have become better parents.

You’re a Kiwi sporting hero, and incidentally our theme this week is sport—do you have a favourite sports book?

Cricketing Safari by Nathan Astle and my good self. Quite possibly the worst diary that could be written. For that reason it’s retro… Serious note. A Good Walk Spoilt: a golf book about the trials and tribulations of a professional golfer. Written beautifully and covers challenges on and off the course.

Before your illustrious cricket career, you trained to be a teacher and have also had experience in the digital publishing industry, so you’re clearly aware of the educational benefits of the written word. How do you think Book Month best promotes reading?

Awareness. In an electronic world the paperback is having to fight hard to keep its head above water. People need to realise the importance of having books in the home, even if they are not read that often; it still plays a part. There is nothing better than finding a good book and turning the phone off for a couple of hours to read!

1