Lovin’ From the Oven: Hummus

This week we are going to be talking about chickpeas, once something reserved for the vegetarians that can now be embraced and adored by us carnivores alike, because they are cheap, versatile and oh-so tasty. Chickpeas or garbanzo beans are rich in folic acid and fibre, which makes them beneficial for regulating both cholesterol and blood sugar levels. Chickpeas also fall within the low GI category which means they release energy slowly and keep you feeling fuller for longer.

Hummus

– 1 can of chickpeas (any will do, but Delmain are best—Davis Metro on Taranaki Street sell good ones, too, for about $1 a pop)
– 1 clove garlic
– 1 tsp cumin
– 2 tbsp lemon juice
– Salt and pepper
– 1 tbsp tahini (tahini can be quite expensive, so if you are a peanut butter fan you can substitute a tbsp of smooth or crunchy for the tahini)

Ideally, you would use a blender or food processer to get all this blended up: a Magic Bullet or whizz stick will work too. If you are as unprepared as I was in my first year flatting, you can use a potato masher and have yourself a hummus with a more rustic texture. Start by draining off about two thirds of the brine that the chickpeas are sitting in (reserve this in case your hummus is too thick, it’s good for thinning it out at the end). Put the remaining third of the liquid and the chickpeas, along with all the other ingredients into your chosen appliance and blend until smooth. This will keep in the fridge for about a week, enjoy on toast with tomato or avocado, on crackers or carrot sticks.

Other great ways to incorporate these tasty wee morsels into your diet include throwing a can into your favourite Indian curry or vege soup, mixing them with some spinach and tomato for a tasty salad or tossing them in some cumin and turmeric and roasting them on an oven tray until golden for a
tasty snack.

1. Number 1 fan says:

Good work ms.adams, sounds delightful. I will be sure to make this at home sometime ,try and get one up one my foodie flatmate , she’s a bit of a dick…….

2. Hummus queen says:

But don’t forget… chickpeas are way cheaper if you buy them dry and cook them yourself! You want to do them in big batches and freeze them because it’s a bit of effort. Soak a whole lot in approximately twice the amount of hot water needed to cover them overnight (or just a really long time). Then boil them for ages until they’re soft – a pressure cooker can take the cooking time down from 1 hour+ to around 15 minutes.

3. Hayley Adams says:

You are so right. I never thought to freeze them, what great advice.
    The only issue I have is I always forget to put the chickpeas in water the night before so almost always disappoint myself. But doing a big batch and freezing them solves that problem!