Lovin From The Oven – Beer Bread

One thing every student flat should have in the pantry is beer. Of course, it never lasts long but almost always there is a lone can of Brenner Gold, some terrible homebrew or an array left behind after that flat warming last week. This week, I challenge you to make it go a little further and create something tasty with it, because I am about to gift you the easiest beer recipe you will ever come by. If you must, sacrifice one can from that 12 pack you purchased for a mere $10 at The Mill in O Week—that’s less than 90 cents per can!

Beer Bread

1 can (330ml) of any beer you have floating around
3 cups of self raising flour (or 3 cups flour and 4 tsp baking powder alternatively)
1 tsp salt

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a loaf tin. If you don’t own a loaf tin you can just slap this puppy on a tray, she will just come out looking a bit like a loaf of focaccia is all. Sift flour into a mixing bowl, add salt and make a well in the centre. Pour the beer into the dry ingredients and mix with a knife until it forms a dough. Transfer to your greased loaf tin or tray and bake for 45mins, you can tell if it is done, when if you tap the crust, it sounds hollow. Pop onto a wire rack to cool.

Enjoy this bread with some homemade soup or hummus, or toasted with some peanut butter. To make things a little fancy you can add garlic to the mixture when you add the beer, or add a tablespoon of mixed herbs, some diced olives and sundried tomatoes to the flour for a Mediterranean twist. It is best eaten fresh but will be fine toasted for about five days if stored in an airtight container, out of the sun.

1