Lovin From The Oven – Beer Bread

One thing every student flat should have in the pantry is beer. Of course, it never lasts long but almost always there is a lone can of Brenner Gold, some terrible homebrew or an array left behind after that flat warming last week. This week, I challenge you to make it go a little further and create something tasty with it, because I am about to gift you the easiest beer recipe you will ever come by. If you must, sacrifice one can from that 12 pack you purchased for a mere $10 at The Mill in O Week—that’s less than 90 cents per can!

Beer Bread

1 can (330ml) of any beer you have floating around
3 cups of self raising flour (or 3 cups flour and 4 tsp baking powder alternatively)
1 tsp salt

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a loaf tin. If you don’t own a loaf tin you can just slap this puppy on a tray, she will just come out looking a bit like a loaf of focaccia is all. Sift flour into a mixing bowl, add salt and make a well in the centre. Pour the beer into the dry ingredients and mix with a knife until it forms a dough. Transfer to your greased loaf tin or tray and bake for 45mins, you can tell if it is done, when if you tap the crust, it sounds hollow. Pop onto a wire rack to cool.

Enjoy this bread with some homemade soup or hummus, or toasted with some peanut butter. To make things a little fancy you can add garlic to the mixture when you add the beer, or add a tablespoon of mixed herbs, some diced olives and sundried tomatoes to the flour for a Mediterranean twist. It is best eaten fresh but will be fine toasted for about five days if stored in an airtight container, out of the sun.

1. Issue 14, Vol 81: Queerlient
  2. Vegan Choc Chip Cookies
  3. Words Cut Loose
  4. Corduroy – “The Usual” Single Review
  5. Nanette
  6. Alex Strangelove
  7. The Normal Heart
  8. Analysing the Queer Content in Children’s Puberty Books
  9. Podcasts Are For the Gays
  10. From the Archives