Lovin’ from the Oven – This Shit is Bananas

Bananas are such a tasty treat but have a very bad habit of leaving them to get too ripe or carrying them around in my bag for a week, ‘till they’re all beat up and nasty-lookin’. I swear, almost nobody likes a bruised banana, and if you often find a few rogue ones hanging about your place, I have great news for you! Banana loaf is so easy to whip up and can be varied in so many ways to maximise what you already have floating around the pantry.

Hayley’s Banana Loaf
1 ½ cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 large banana, brown and mashed
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup sugar
Handful of chopped dates and almonds
Sprinkle of sunflower seeds and cinnamon on top

Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Celsius and grease a medium-sized loaf tin. If you don’t have a loaf tin, you can pop your mixture into muffin tins. Put all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, you can sift them to make sure there are no lumps, I prefer to give them a quick mix with a fork or whisk to get rid of lumps. In a separate bowl mash the bananas and then add milk and oil to them. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in almonds and dates and pour into your loaf tin and bake for 30-45 minutes or until when a knife is inserted into the middle and it comes out clean. Remove from oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.

You can swap the almonds and date for any other nut or dried fruit, such as apricots, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts or raisins. Or for something a little more exciting throw in a handful of roughly chopped milk or dark chocolate. There is also an option to glaze the loaf with some honey or maple syrup when it is fresh out of the oven, just drizzle a little over the top when it’s still in the tin. This will make it extra yum.

1