Lovin’ from the Oven: Scones

Tea parties are making a comeback in a big way and they are a great way to get the crew together to celebrate something special or just an excuse to eat pint sized food.

High tea is popping up all over Wellington and the delightful Martha’s Pantry is more popular than ever, but if you’re in the mood for a little entertaining at yours, a high tea party is easy and fun to do at home.
It is important to have both savoury and sweet nibbles for high tea, some yummy ideas include cucumber, mint and cream cheese sandwiches or corned beef, tomato, lettuce and chutney club sandwiches cut into itty-bitty squares, homemade scones and liquor truffles
The Humble Scone
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
50g chilled butter
¾-1 cup milk
Preheat your oven to 230oC and line a tray with some baking paper. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Chop butter into cubes and add to dry ingredients, rub the butter between your fingers into the dry mixture until it is all mixed in and resembles fine bread crumbs. While stirring with a knife, pour in enough milk to form a dough and then lightly knead on a floured surface. Don’t over-mix or over-knead because your scones won’t turn out nice and fluffy. Press dough out so it is about 2cm thick and then cut into squares. Pop them onto your baking paper and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden. Serve with jam, lemon curd and whipped cream, or for a variation add the rind of one orange, 2 tbsp of sugar and a handful of chopped dates.

And don’t forget to dust off your teapot and enjoy a hot pot of tea with milk and honey, or throw some cucumber, mint, orange and strawberries along with some Pimms and ginger ale into your pot for a cheeky twist.

1