New G-G

There’s a new head honcho in town: Lieutenant General Jerry Mateparae has been appointed the new ‘Governor-General and Commander-in-Chief in and over New Zealand’.
Sir Anand Satanyand will depart Government House to make way for the new kingpin on August 23 2011.

Her Majesty the Queen has blessed this appoint-ment, saying she is “thrilled”.
It is not known whether erstwhile Breakfast host Paul Henry considers Mateparae to look enough like a New Zealander.

Lt Gen Mateparae grew up in Whanganui, has five children and gained a Master of Arts in International Relations and Strategic Studies from Waikato University.

He has climbed the military ranks from an Officer Cadet in 1972 to the Chief of the Defence Force in 2006. Now he’s the Queen’s number one man in Wellington.
Mateparae takes up the responsibility of doing everything Prime Minister John Key tells him to. As any LAWS 213 student could tell you, constitutional convention dictates that the Governor-General only exercises his powers on the advice of his responsible ministers.

Mateparae has the ability to make a right royal mess of the whole thing. He could refuse to approve Bills passed by Parliament – they won’t officially become law without his assent. He could even dissolve Parliament and use his mates to start a military coup!

In reality, he will most likely carry out his constitutional responsibilities so that we continue to live in political harmony. Boring.

1