Prez Col No. 3 – VUWSA Earthquake Appeal Update

It’s been extremely inspiring to see the incredible solidarity and energy of students in the aftermath of the Christchurch earthquake. From the phenomenal work of the UC Student Volunteer Army, to the relief efforts being run by students’ associations and their members around the country. It’s great to see students getting out helping each other and their community in times like these.

VUWSA’s campus appeal has been extremely successful so far and we’ve been blown away with the response. There have been many of you who have given their time to help shake buckets around campus and many more who have donated materials and money. Last Thursday, we made our first donation of just over $5,000, raised in over just five days, to the University of Canterbury Student Volunteer Army.
On a national level, VUWSA is working with the
New Zealand Union of Students’ Associations (NZUSA) to ensure those unable to continue studies in Canterbury have the opportunity to transfer to Victoria or other universities. And that those who wish to stay in Canterbury are adequately supported to continue their studies. Some institutions are making allowances for affected students, other are not. Victoria is taking
a “case-by-case” approach. We’re yet to see what
that means.

Regardless, these students are victims of a national tragedy. Some won’t be able to get (or keep their) jobs in Christchurch and thus can’t afford to continue full-time study. There will be students who don’t want to (or can’t) deal with the aftershocks. There will be students whose houses are condemned or severely damaged, and those who just want to go home. It is important that they are looked after in all aspects of their lives in the coming weeks and months.

Become a Student Rep!

All classes will be electing Class Reps in the coming week or two. Class Reps are fantastic people and help facilitate immediate improvements in teaching and learning for you and your class. Along with Faculty Delegates and the student reps on Academic Board and University Council, they form a vital link between your class, lecturer, the University and VUWSA. There’s a lot in it for you personally if you take up the role, including VicPlus points and prizes, but others in your class benefit immensely from having a strong voice within the University.

Super City University Games 2011

Uni Games is more than stories of lurid late-night shenanigans and regrets. This year the century-old tournament will see over 2000 students from New Zealand and Australasia compete in 26 different sports to win the University Shield. Victoria often dominates the Games, winning in 2006/08/09 (and lost it in 2010, when some wise guy decided to hold it in Invercargill). If you’re keen to compete with Team Vic, VUWSA is taking registrations and sorting travel and accomodation packages, so email clubs@vuwsa.org.nz for more.
Have a great week and thank you for the generosity shown during our earthquake appeal.

1