Prez Col No. 4

Hello! Our Student Volunteer Army campus appeal has raised nearly $8000 for their relief work. Needless to say, they were totally blown away by Victoria students’ generosity.

Our massive O Week is over except MGMT this weekend, and we’re starting to train hundreds of new student reps, planning our annual free flu shot clinics and getting ready to open our new offices, student spaces and club rooms in the Student Union Building.

Initial General Meeting—Win a Double Pass to MGMT and hear from your Reps

This week is VUWSA’s first general meeting of the year. If you come along we’ll give you a free lunch, you can go into the draw to win a double pass to MGMT on Sunday, and check out what VUWSA has been up to when we present our Annual Report and the audited financial statements.
We’re also hoping to pass a motion to formally recognise the Victoria University of Wellington Science Society as a Representative Organisation. Currently the Science Society is only recognised as an official rep group for one year and full recognition will help ensure it becomes a sustainable organisation and enable stronger representation and support for science students at Victoria.

They’ve proven to be a very active, committed and passionate group for all who are studying or interested in science at Victoria. They’ll act as a link between the Faculty of Science, students, VUWSA and the wider science community.

But they also aim (and I quote from their Clubs Week flier) “to help science babes meet other science babes and thus form a babalicious science community. And we know there are a lot of you out there.” That sounds like a pretty sweet proposition.

Recognising the Science Society as a rep group will give science students what those who are post-grad, studying Law, Commerce and Architecture have had for many years in the PGSA, Law Students’ Society, VicCom and STUDiO. They just need your support. So please come along!
Campus Cuisine

Improving the quality of food on campus has long been a key issue for VUWSA. New students will have no idea of the awful food on campus that those of us who’ve been around for a while have endured for years. 2011 will see the Hunter Lounge, a new postgraduate café—Milk and Honey (opening in April), a Wishbone, a daily Hare Krishna kiosk, a Mojo coffee cart, a new Asian noodle and food kiosk, and a fresh bread/sub kiosk all swing in to glorious action.
This is because strong and effective representation by VUWSA reps throughout the University’s tendering process for new food outlets has ensured the affordability, quality and variety we have been wanting for years.

These new operators will also be subject to more stringent monitoring and assessment to make sure they are meeting student expectations and other key performance indicators outlined in the University’s Retail Strategy. This should avoid the nightmare of having a campus dominated by subsidiaries of Eurest.
So have a great week and see you at the IGM!

1