March 14, 2011 | by  | in Arts Music |

Spotlight on: Amalia

Think late ‘80s, early ‘90s funk and disco dance music. Think of the clothing worn by Will Smith’s counterpart DJ Jazzy Jeff in the beloved series The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Think swag meets synth-cheese and you may have a rough idea of what to expect from Toyko Dawn Records’ latest release from Canadian artist Amalia.

Art Slave, produced by Swedish producer Oplopo, is a step in the right direction for those who couldn’t get over an Incognito-esque boogie jack-step style; hopefully, it’s providing lovers of dance club music an avenue beyond the bizarrely popularized bro-step you hear cranking outta Hope Bros every weekend. Amalia cites her vocal style as influenced by women like Chaka Khan, Sheila E, Eartha Kitt and Betty Davis, but ‘Ain’t Nobody’ living in the past with this album as she shows huge potential with talent that could see her rise amongst her influences. Just as today’s appreciation for the ‘90s is seen in our clothes, this album speaks to listeners on a similar wavelength, I like to think of it as if Snap!, Maxx and Prince had a mutant love child and raised her in Canada. Amalia currently lives in Sweden and if her live shows are anything like this album, she is definitely one to watch.

1. Ross McComish’s Reply