March 21, 2011 | by  | in Music |

Spotlight on Ghoul

For those of you still experiencing post-Camp a Low Hum depression/a love-fad with anything from Australia, the Sydney-based electronic beat-ambient band Ghoul should demand your attention.

Don’t be fooled by their self-proclaimed genre listing ‘pop’ on Facebook—this is an alternative band that demonstrates the ability to seamlessly cross-genre and still keep a style that is innately their own. Ghoul make few allowances for creative sloppiness, their latest release Dunks carrying a bonfire-sized torch for both the band and the Sydney music scene. It’s unsurprising they supported Yeasayer last month; the crooning from singer Ivan Vižintin alone would start a cult following, and you get the impression they do as much listening around as they do playing. Their earlier EP A Mouthful of Gold is more traditional four-piece band-orientated but no less interesting. Ghoul is showcasing a direction in music that could both hold appeal to many and simultaneously educate—I’m even shyly suggesting a nod in the direction of Triosk, Mount Kimbie or Four Tet.

The nice thing about these guys, though, is that even though you hear a multitude of these influences, there isn’t obvious copy-catting. Maybe the Southern Hemisphere is slowly moving on from synth-bearing indie-spazz-core bands, or maybe we’ll just appropriate Ghoul’s style here but make it moody and lo-fi. Either way, if they ever cross the ditch, I’ve already mentally purchased my ticket.

1. alex says:

these music spotlights are quite interesting, and it makes you want to have a listen to some of it, but they could really be improved with some youtube links to some examples of the bands really good bits. Did Music Now not drill that into you enough?

8. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  9. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy
  10. Astral Rejection