March 28, 2011 | by  | in Music |

Spotlight on Zwischenwelt

‘Zwischenwelt’, or ‘Between Worlds’, is a collaborative project between Gerald Donald (alias Heinirch Mueller) and lady-trio Beta Evers, Penelope Martin, and Susana Correia. As the name might suggest, the group models themselves on the otherworldly, shown mostly through dark enigmatic bass lines which meet Evers’ stark and drawling European vocals. The single ‘Enigmata’ appears to bear a thematic resemblance to The X-Files theme tune, or perhaps it’s just that wandering synths will forever be etched in my mind to represent the typical Hollywood version of an alien invasion (Roswell as opposed to 50s Invasion of the Body Snatchers). According to vocalist Evers, the project is based around the investigation of “paranormal psychic abilities using scientific methods”, which couldn’t be clearer from the chromaticism and the sparse electro-ambient arrangements. Not to be confused with the myriad of grave-wave/drag tunes poking their noses out of the ground currently, Zwischenwelt hearkens towards the more sci-fi occult as opposed to distorted witchy voices who got lost in the ghetto and learnt to rap. Evers instead chooses a spacey-drawl over the laid beat which sincerely makes me want to play video games where a Milla Jovovich-esqe character runs around a Siberian landscape shooting vampires and stuff. Zwischenbelt is perhaps sonorously akin to the mad scientist who family members are never quite whether to be proud of or avoid talking about at family gatherings but is clearly the intellect. Zwischenbelt are worth the listen for the arrangements alone, and if that doesn’t appeal, there’s always Resident Evil, I guess.

Recommended tracks: ‘Theoretical Projection’, ‘Enigmata’, ‘Telekinesis’.