Student Teachers Expose Themselves to Children

Budding teachers will get their first hands-on taste of the profession as the Faculty of Education’s teaching experience program begins for the year this week.

Student Heather Mosher will spend seven weeks teaching English and maths to year zero to two students at Clifton Terrace Model School. Although she is apprehensive about getting her students motivated, she says she is excited to see their progress as they learn.
“I’m keen to have a career that involves working with people and where I would have a lot of potential to make a difference in people’s lives.”
Approximately 215 early childhood education (ECE) and 490 primary and secondary teaching students are enrolled in courses requiring completion of a teaching placement this year.

Associate Dean of Primary and Secondary Teacher Education Dr Louise Starkey says that on average over 90 percent of student teachers gain employment as teachers the year after they graduate from Victoria University. She attributes this success partly to the Faculty of Education’s close working relationship with schools and ECE centres.

“The consistent feedback from these professionals…is that our students are highly regarded”.
Associate teachers will assess participants weekly against the New Zealand Teachers Council’s Graduating Teacher Standards.

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America