March 7, 2011 | by  | in Arts Theatre |

Theatre – Gareth Farr’s Drumdrag

Trying to pick which show you’re going to see is sometimes like deciding what to have for dinner. You know you’re hungry, but for what exactly? One night you’re craving a light serving of comedy and a stodgy drama the next. Every so often, though, you want to skip dinner altogether and hit up the ice cream, the cheese platter and all the dessert wine the waiter is willing to serve you. You want a spectacle, not merely a show. Craving one right now, aren’t ya? Then get your lips around Gareth Farr’s Drumdrag, the percussive extravaganza which has been performed to huge audiences in New Zealand and overseas for over a decade. Farr, Arts Laureate 2010 and renowned composer, once attended my friend’s Recorder Camp (that’s correct, a camp dedicated soley to the playing and appreciation of the humble recorder) to compose a song just for them. He’s a lovely guy. It’s his alter-ego however, the scintillating Lilith LaCroix, who is the star of Drumdrag and has been described as Sheila E meets Priscilla Queen of the Desert. She’s a national treasure and the opportunity to spend an evening in her drum-pounding presence has filled me with the sort of happiness which inspires you to use the stairs to reach Level 8 of Von Zedlitz instead of taking the lift. Be just a little bit naughty and gorge yourself on the delectable treat that is Drumdrag.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos