Vice Prez (Admin)

It is only the start of the second week, but already I am tasked with writing 400 words that very few people will actually even read. But I digress.

A belated welcome to uni for 2011. If you’re a regular reader of the VUWSA columns, you’ll probably have some idea of the role we play, and the support we can offer you. VUWSA is, as our motto suggests, “your students’ association”. We’ll be here whenever you need help with your lecturers or if assignment results are egregious. If you are like many students and need a food parcel or need help with your taxes, VUWSA will be here for you. Quite simply when Studylink and part time jobs fail you, and classes live up to their often terrible reputations, come see us.

My role at VUWSA is quite a simple one. As Vice President (Administration) it is my role to ensure the smooth operation of VUWSA from a financial perspective. 2011 is a particularly vital year for VUWSA: in 2012 the nature of students’ associations will most likely become voluntary, having wide implications for us and for you—something you will no doubt hear more about later in the year. My goal and the goal of VUWSA more generally is to create an association that you, the members, can be proud to be a part of. This year, through careful management of the budget, we will ensure you get value for money. Through reallocation of your levy towards support that helps large numbers of VUWSA members, we can ensure Uni life is made that much easier for you.

But enough about that; this week’s theme of Salient is cuisine. It is somewhat ironic that I have been rostered on this week, as my culinary skills are limited to Butter Chicken and Spaghetti Bolognaise. Both, much to the chagrin of my past and present flatmates, are very much of the “from a bottle” variety. If you’re anything like me, you’ll want to read the rest of this issue—it will no doubt be packed full of recipes, hints and tips for even the most basic of cooks.

I wish you best of luck for 2011. Be it achieving those A’s you’ve always striven for, making new friends at your Hall or through your club, or simply through increasing your cooking skills, I hope 2011 is excellent and successful.
Stay safe.
Daniel Wilson
avp@vuwsa.org.nz

1