Vice Prez (Education)

Hello everyone,

Hopefully your first four weeks of Uni have been going well and you are not too far behind on your readings! It was awesome to see so many of you getting involved in O Week this year. It was definitely the best O Week VUWSA has put on in a long time.

Over the past fortnight I, along with Education Officer Jen Fellows and Education Organiser Dr. Fiona Beals, have been busy training Class Reps and Faculty Delegates over Kelburn, Pipetia, Te Aro and Karori campuses. This year we have the highest percentage of classes with Class Reps in the last decade at an amazing 83%. Better yet, the majority of these students have also attended Class Rep training, to help them be an effective port of call for students in their class.

It is clear to me that student representation and democracy is alive and kicking on campus. Especially when you look at our turnout at the VUWSA IGM and the first Education Action Group Meeting, featuring Winston Peters.

Now that Class Rep training is finished, we will be turning our focus to the Student Charter, which we have been working on with the University for the last few months. The aim of the Student Charter is to set out the minimum expectations you can have of this University and what, in turn, the University expects of you as a student.

The Charter is centrally focused around the creation of a ‘community of scholars’ at Victoria where we all feel engaged and respected. The last Charter was published in 2000, so students are well overdue for a revised edition. Seamus and I will keep you updated on the progression of the Charter throughout the trimester.

Upcoming things to note;

• Free Flu Shots—check out the VUWSA website for information on where and when flu shots are happening
• Uni Games 2011—if you are interested in representing Victoria for 2011, contact our Clubs and Events Manager Melissa at clubs@vuwsa.org.nz Uni Games are going to be held in Auckland this year and will run from Tuesday 26—Friday 29 April
Bridie Hood
evp@vuwsa.org.nz

1