VSM faces delays again

VSM missed its chance for debate in Parliament last Wednesday as Labour MPs just wanted to talk about parties in a Hamilton park.

ACT MP Heather Roy’s Education (Freedom of Association) Amendment Bill was due for its third round at the committee stage. But due to Labour’s extensive debate around Hamilton’s Parana Park Bill, it will have to wait several more weeks before it can progress.

Labour, who oppose the Bill due to expectations it will reduce access to student services, have been accused of using delaying tactics. But their efforts may be in vain as it looks inevitable the Bill will pass, with ACT and National having the numbers to get it through.

The New Zealand Union of Students’ Associations has again called for the bill to be withdrawn. Alluding to ACT’s opposition to the Marine and Coastal Area Bill on the basis of lack of public support, NZUSA co-President David Do said “ACT should practice what they preach”.

He cited a recent public opinion poll which showed most were in favour of students deciding on the structure of membership of their associations.
The independent poll, by UMR Insight, in November 2010, found 77 per cent thought students should decide, whereas only 17 per cent believed the Government should make the decision.

The results don’t show whether students would decide on a compulsory or voluntary membership structure if they were given the choice.
Should the Bill pass, it will come into effect on the 1 January 2012.

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America