April 4, 2011 | by  |

Asian Business Chairs

A new initiative designed to strengthen the ability of New Zealand companies to do business in Asia was launched at Victoria University on Monday.

The Bank of New Zealand Chair in Business in Asia is a co-operative venture, with BNZ, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and Victoria University all participating.
The initiative will draw together skills and knowledge from the various participants in order to assist New Zealand businesses in better exploiting Asia’s breathtaking economic growth.

The policy experience of government departments will be combined with the commercial experience of BNZ and the academic knowledge of VUW staff in order to offer better advice to New Zealand businesses.

Professor Kim-Shyan Fam, head of the School of Marketing and International Business, told Salient that the professor who fills the chair will be bringing in knowledge and experience from Asia, and will be able to relay this to New Zealand businesses.

Seven of the world’s 20 largest economies are located in Asia, as well as fourteen of the world’s 20 fastest-growing. China and Japan are the second and third-largest economies respectively.

“New Zealand’s trade with Asia is a significant trade—in particular in China and the Middle East,” Dr Revi Raman, a lecturer from Victoria’s Faculty of Commerce and Administration said.

“The relevance of Asian countries and their growth
is critical”.

The initiative will not only benefit businesses. The professors who are brought in to fill the Chair will carry out teaching duties and impart their knowledge to students as well.
“If we get the right professors to come in, he or she is bringing in information from whatever research that he or she has done … they are then going to transmit that information to students,” Professor Fam added.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. Salient seeks new contributors 97 views
  2. The Übermensch 28 views
  3. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 23 views
  4. Web designer needed 17 views
  5. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 16 views
  6. The Bresolin Brothers 14 views
  7. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 14 views
  8. The Sedulous Recorder 14 views
  9. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 14 views
  10. Ermagherd, rent 12 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more