AU Up in Arms

On Monday 4 April, the Green Party’s Tertiary Education spokesperson David Clendon rallied alongside students and staff outside the Auckland University Senate meeting.

The Tertiary Education Union is in the process of negotiating a collective agreement with Auckland University. Students and staff are concerned that the University is prioritising cost-cutting over protecting their interests.

The University is in favour of arbitrarily removing important terms and conditions relating to research and study leave, disciplinary procedures, and academic grades from the agreement, and would place them into university policy documents instead.

“It is disappointing that Auckland University is trying to cut costs by compromising the ability of academics to do their jobs,” said Clendon.

“Research and study leave are vital for academics to retain currency in their discipline and to maintain their motivation to deliver high quality courses and programmes.”

Clendon said it was vital that the voices of staff and students were heard.

“Staff at Auckland University have offered constructive options aimed at assuring the best outcome for students and the institution. It is time the University started listening.”

A motion to discuss the issue of study leave was removed from the agenda of the Senate meeting.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this