AU Up in Arms

On Monday 4 April, the Green Party’s Tertiary Education spokesperson David Clendon rallied alongside students and staff outside the Auckland University Senate meeting.

The Tertiary Education Union is in the process of negotiating a collective agreement with Auckland University. Students and staff are concerned that the University is prioritising cost-cutting over protecting their interests.

The University is in favour of arbitrarily removing important terms and conditions relating to research and study leave, disciplinary procedures, and academic grades from the agreement, and would place them into university policy documents instead.

“It is disappointing that Auckland University is trying to cut costs by compromising the ability of academics to do their jobs,” said Clendon.

“Research and study leave are vital for academics to retain currency in their discipline and to maintain their motivation to deliver high quality courses and programmes.”

Clendon said it was vital that the voices of staff and students were heard.

“Staff at Auckland University have offered constructive options aimed at assuring the best outcome for students and the institution. It is time the University started listening.”

A motion to discuss the issue of study leave was removed from the agenda of the Senate meeting.

1