April 11, 2011 | by  | in Opinion |

Environmental Officer

There are those of us in society who want to improve the world around us, and do so through buying Keep Cups and using those spiral ‘energy efficient’ light bulbs. Then there are those of us whose desire to help the environment results in getting bored with constant media images of the ‘coming apocalypse’, meaning good intentions are thrown aside. Unfortunately, humanity is constantly grouped into the latter, being told our attempts are “half-arsed” and make no difference. So what to believe?

No-one but you can answer this question, but over the coming weeks I have the opportunity to ask you on a one-to-one basis, especially if you are involved in one of the green clubs we have here on campus. Being at university is all about exploring who we are, what we believe, and what we have the potential to become. Clubs are an excellent way of sharing and debating beliefs. Gecko is a great starting point—they meet weekly on a Thursday from 11am – 12pm in SU217.

As for me—belief is just the first step. Without action, there is no change. So begin 2011 with tackling the environmental issues that are relevant to you!

Through increased communication with campus environmental groups, I’m looking at what the University and VUWSA can do to aid our current environment on campus, ensuring a sustainable future by addressing recycling. Recycling as an issue continues to plague Victoria University, with increasing waste figures over the last three years. Focus will centre on tackling this issue, with incentives and ways to promote its reduction.

2011 is set to be a happening year. With upcoming environmental events, be sure to keep your eyes peeled for Environment Week next trimester. Coming elections also promise for environment issues to be in hot debate, so get involved, state what you believe, and make your voice heard.

Haley Mortimer
environment.officer@vuwsa.org.nz

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan